Cairn Box: March 2018 Review
Time to get "In The Zone"... Cairn is promoting "pure outdoor enjoyment", eliminating distractions and enhancing inspiration, so we can focus on our outdoor fun. Sounds pretty good, right?
Well, it was an interesting month in our long term relationship with Cairn. The "big" item this month was an item that couldn't ship to us in California, so there was a pretty significant delay in getting the box. No big deal, because Cairn emailed us and let us know way early on. After much guessing and riddling, we were stumped about what the item could be, and why it wouldn't be allowed into California.
Much later than normal, our box finally arrived. A skinny little thing that looked like it couldn't hold much. Turns out, it didn't hold much! We got a big coupon/credit for the future item, so we can watch and see when it becomes available and then we'll be able to order it, basically for free. Creative planning on Cairn's part, to deal with a tricky situation! So here we go, right into the box...
- The "big" item this month is the Thermacell Radius. Cairn included some info about this gadget - it's the highest valued product we've ever received. At the push of a button, this little gadget will protect us from mosquitoes. It runs on a USB rechargeable battery. Refills must be purchased for the product that it releases.
- We can't offer a real review of this item, since we don't have one. We have the gift card to get one eventually. We're not quite sure we'll take them up on the offer - it's unclear if the product helps with other bugs, or just mosquitoes. The need for purchasing refills isn't ideal. In reality, we don't use bug spray or bug repellent products too often.
- All in all, we see how this product could be amazing (Andrea is from the midwest and remembers the mosquito tribes that marched in every summer). We don't have many mosquito problems in SoCal or even in most of the places we camp, so we're just not sure it'd be that useful for us personally.
- We've seen these bars at local shops, but have never picked one up to try. We're always excited to try the variety of snack and protein bars that Cairn introdcues us too.
- At first, the flavor didn't sound so great - not big fans of lemon. Regardless, we opened the bar and enjoyed it. It is much more like a heavy cake texture than a typical snack or protein bar. This made us wish for a cup of coffee to go along with it. The flavor ended up being really good, and we'd definitely give this bar another try!
- This is an idea that we can get behind. Being self-diagnosed gear junkies, we tend to have a lot of "stuff" that we just don't use or that we upgrade and the old model lives indefinitely in our closet. Especially with something like a Cairn Box subscription, we are being introduced to new stuff regularly, and then having gear we don't use any more taking up space.
- What we received in the box was a big plastic bag. We can fill it with gear and it has a prepaid label on it. The bag will hold plenty of stuff - we picture it with a 32 ounce Hydroflask for scale. The gear then gets inspected, repaired, cleaned up, and then made available to others. If the gear you send is just too beat up, they donate it.
- Best yet, it is raising funds for a very good cause - "The Gear Fix will repair your equipment, sell it in their shop, and the net proceeds will be matched by Cairn and Gear Fix and donated to The Conservation Alliance."
- You can request a free kit - this big pre-labelled bag - at the link above. Clean out that closet and put that old gear to work for a good cause!
We want to mention the fantastic Obsidian Collection that Cairn put together this quarter. These quarterly collections are packed with gear, often at a great value for what you pay to subscribe. The most recent box has us right on the brink of subscribing, because it is some great gear for a great price. Take a look at the Obsidian Collection and what was included for Spring 2018!
We have received some useful and fun gear in our Cairn boxes - search our blog and you'll find lots of reviews and info about the cool stuff they send out every month!
We are regular (paying) subscribers, and we love the stuff we get in a surprise box of goodies every month!