Cairn Box: February 2018 Review
The theme for the month is... "Have A Heart". Cairn put together a box of some handy items that come from companies committed to doing good, not just selling gear. We can eagerly get behind this theme and the companies that Cairn chose to work with this month. A great box, with one item we've had an eye on for some time!
- This was the "big" item this month, and will likely come in handy on some adventures in the future. The LifeStraw Universal is a bottle adapter kit that provides the filtering of the original LifeStraw, but on a water bottle for convenience. This attaches to a standard Nalgene bottle and allows for filtering water from nature, anywhere along your path.
- According to LifeStraw: 2-stage filter, 2 different sized caps, filter removes 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.9% of protozoa and improves the taste of water, lasts up to 1000 gallons. Chemical free, battery free, and pump free!
- Hiking in California (where we are), doesn't often provide water sources to sip from. This will likely be packed along on many travels and used in places where there is running water or just possibly not the best tap water to be drinking.
- "LifeStraw believes that doing good is good business. Through their Follow the Liters program, for every LifeStraw purchased, a school child around the world receives safe water for an entire school year. This month, Cairn subscribers are a part of helping LifeStraw reach their goal of providing 1 million children with safe drinking water!" - from Cairn
- We're big fans of eliminating the plastic waste that can happen in our home. Bee's Wraps provides an alternative to plastic wrap that is washable, reusable, and compostable. They are sustainable and can be used to wrap snacks and containers.
- We put our small wrap right to use. It grips and forms a great seal over a bowl. The large one is a good size for wrapping a sandwich or snack pack for a hike.
- They were a little sticky and smelled waxy at first, but the instructions mentioned giving them a wash before using. A quick wash in the sink with dish soap seemed to take care of the smell and some of the residue. They are coated in wax, so I think they will always be a little waxy, and that's okay. Just different from what we're used to!
Gomacro Macrobar- Cherries and Berries
- This bar lasted exactly one day after we opened the box. Our box arrived just in time to go on a roadtrip to Death Valley, and this bar was a perfect breakfast while we were out on the trails. We've had Gomacro bars from Cairn in the past, and they were delicious, so Andrea quickly snagged this one and it was just as delicious.
- This flavor was a tart and bright flavor, great for a sunny morning outside. These bars always have a good consistency and flavor combos, and this "Sunny Uplift" bar was a good one and true to it's name!
- This bar is: gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, non-GMO, organic, kosher, soy-free.... and packed with some healthy ingredients and antioxidants.
We enjoyed opening this box out at a campsite, and enjoyed one of the items almost immediatly (bye bye tasty bar)! We love being introduced to companies who "have a heart" and items that are good for our world, the environemnt, and our bodies!
Take a look at their site and sign up!
We have received some amazing stuff in our Cairn boxes - search our blog and you'll find lots of reviews and info about the cool stuff they send out every month!
We are regular subscribers, and we love the stuff we get in a surprise box of goodies every month!