Cairn Box: April 2017 Review
The April 2017 Cairn box showed up right on schedule, back to the normal little box size. The theme this month was geared towards the Cairn crews home adventure land - the Northwest. They selected items that would be useful for hitting the trails in the PNW, which resulted in some interesting items this month. We have already put a couple of these items to use, and the jerky is long gone...
Colter Co. USA Bandana
- I've had my eye on Colter Bandanas for some time now... they are a cool company, with a cool product, making a classic piece of hiking equipment (a boring bandana) into something more exciting!
- We originally received a Sugarsky Headband, but didn't expect to use it much. We aren't headband wearers. Cool thing about Cairn, they work with you on things like this... they sent us this bandana as an alternative. Thanks Cairn!
- The Cabin Fever print doubles as a game board, with instructions... which Kim loves. Of course after I finished shooting for this blog we had to set it up and play a game or 2 :)
- Lay it out and you have a checkerboard or a few other game options... pretty creative.
EK USA Fat Cat 3 Way
- At first, we sort of tossed this aside, because we didn't really think we'd use it. The end pieces that hold the ear pieces look small and like they won't fit our Nectar "rayban" style sunglasses. Upon further inspection, these were made with the intention of fitting those larger ear pieces, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
- As a sun-sensitive photographer, I'm frequently pulling off my shades and trying to attach them somewhere, so that I can put a camera up to my eye. This little eye wear holder may just solve the problem. I can take glasses off and on and not have to worry about dropping them over a cliff, or getting them dirty or scratched in a pocket.
- Having used this item on two hikes now, it definitely seems more useful than we originally thought! And one of the things we love about our Cairn boxes is we get gear like this we never would have thought to buy, but end up being super useful!
Think Jerky - Ginger Orange
- We've heard of this jerky before, so we were excited to get to try it! They feature some odd flavor twists on jerky... but who isn't ready for something a little different in the jerky world. This jerky is lower in sodium and higher in protein that what we normally pack along, so that's a great start.
- My biggest reaction to this jerky is that the package is just not big enough. We ate it, tried to share, and just wanted more. The jerky is easy to chew, not that old tough stuff. This flavor is somewhat mild, but has a kick at times, and it was delicious! We wanted more of this as soon as we had the first bite.
Joshua Tree Skin Care Camp Soap
- We love Joshua Tree Skin Care products. We love their chapstick (also received in a Cairn box!) and always have it with us on hikes and camping trips. This is one more product that we're happy to try out.
- Bonus feature - this soap gets you clean, and also has citronella essential oils that also fight bugs! Hooray for soap that keeps pesky bugs away! I love the smell, and love that bugs hate it!
As always, the box contained a card with info on each item and discount options for future purchases, as well as a Cairn sticker. We don’t receive anything from them for free, we are regular subscribers, and we love the surprise box of gear every month!
If you think you’d be interested in
joining this awesome subscription box,
take a look at their site.
In the past, we've received some amazing stuff, such as a Cotopaxi backpack, lots of trail food to try out, and some very useful gear - water filter, utensils, bug spray, sunscreen, sunglasses, water bottles, and more! Check out some of our former reviews if you'd like to see more!